Friday, April 19, 2013

Zombie Author Hugh Howey

Zombie Author Hugh Howey



Hugh Howey is the author of
I, Zombie
Read part of the novel's first draft  online

Visit Hugh Howey's  website, or his Amazon Author page


About Hugh Howey

Hugh Howey lives in Jupiter, Florida with his wife Amber and their beloved dog, Bella.  He was interested in chess and soccer as well as writing as he progressed through primary school.  After he graduated from school, Howey attended college in Charleston, South Carolina, where he also became fascinated with computers.  Here's where there's a bit of an unexpected turn.

Howey purchased a sailboat. He lived in it for a time as a cost-saving measure during his college years.  Then he took the sailboat southward to explore the islands. When he returned to the states, he became a  professional yacht captain. Mr. Howey has traveled and worked on boats in a huge number of different locations: the East Coast of the US, Chicago, Barbados, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Canada.

Even with all those experiences, Howey's time on the boats is not his most memorable former job. Howey once worked as a roofer for two years. He loved the activity, the environment, and the schedule.

Just for fun, I asked Howey to describe his writing room and what it might look like in  its post-apocalyptic version. His answer was unexpected, but perfectly consistent with his novel.
"I work in a small office with my dog and a laptop. After the zombie outbreak, it would be a lot darker from the plywood over the windows. And it would be a gory mess inside from all the people I'd eaten. "

What Makes Hugh Howey Unique?

When I asked Howey about his approach to writing, I brought up the issue of control. I asked him "When you write, do you see yourself in control of the story, or does the story control you?" He answered:
"It goes back and forth. I think of it as a wrestling match. With I, ZOMBIE, I definitely wrote the book I wanted to write, but it went some crazy places to get there."
Those words stayed in my mind.  I later discovered some of the background to the book, and a number of pieces fell into place.

I don't know if everyone is aware of this next fact. The book I, Zombie was created based on  Hugh Howey's experiences in New York on September 11, 2001. He explained this in a 2012 interview:
"I was captaining a yacht housed in North Cove Marina, right there at the base of the twin towers. That’s where I was on September 11th, 2001, in the literal shadows of the World Trade Center. I think I, ZOMBIE is my attempt to both honor the greatest city on planet Earth while also exorcising some of the demons that have lived with me since that day."
When I put these two pieces together, it gave me a picture of  the way Howey works, and why his books are so powerful. The overwhelming sense of helplessness that some readers see in the characters comes from his unique ability to articulate the emotional essence of an experience. Even one that is tragic beyond words.

Hugh Howey: Five Descriptive Links 

Hugh Howey






No comments:

Post a Comment